Monday 4 June 2012

Of The Many Stags by Steve Rudd



All poems start with a lump in the throat
Said Robert Frost; well, the lump I’d speak, my lump,
Is a lump of rock, in Clyde water, fourteen hazy miles clear
Of the blue coast of Ayrshire; a granite knot
That binds up my best memories in a bundle.

A slice of my life, on screen now,
One-sixtieth of a second, Lamlash Bay, me and the dog
Two thousand five, and Holy Isle
Seven years ago, now digitized
Sleeps blurred in heat behind me, the horizon.

Mountains with Gaelic names, high scree
Where no man treads, stones, chambered tombs,
Contours the long-forgotten lines of territory
Atlantic rain soft-blurs epitaphs
On lonely graves of nameless sailors;

Sandy shores, Kildonan and Kilmory
Blackwaterfoot, bucket, spade,
Seals, otters, Basking Sharks,
And lighting driftwood fires on pebble beaches,
And pods of porpoises, Kilbrannan Sound,

All still exist in stasis, beyond my reach;
Somewhere between the sunset, and Kintyre
The ferry-boat is always halfway to Clanaoig;
The Calley Isles is coming from Ardrossan
The sun is always setting on Goatfell, Glen Chalmadale,
Last day of holidays, as I stand on Brodick Promenade
Waiting the Calmac boat’s return, the lump in my throat
Is Arran, being my poem, once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment